This activity can be frustrating ( I now have what feels like thousands of seedbeads deeply embedded into my carpet) but once you get the hang of it is really rewarding. I didn’t seek out a formal beading style when I started this, just grabbing bare essentials (felt, seedbeads, thread and needles) and just started trying things.

The beginning looked like all my beads laying in a hundred different directions, since I wasn’t taking care to direct my needle purposefully around a shape. As I further this practice I really want to focus on form and intentional directional choices, but for now I’m happy with my wonky shaped bead items. It was a timely start to this activity (about a month ago) because the next day, we met Teresa Vander Meer-Chasse, a professional beader and community member of the Ddhalh kit Nelnah first nations in the north, on the territory that borders on Alaska and the Yukon. Their work was truly incredible and they spoke to the unique style of beading specific to their own nation, a technique learned around the dinner table by watching grandmas and listening warmly. Here you can see some of Teresa’s modern takes on this style of beadwork:

What really resonated with me was her suggestion to investigate our own cultural traditions around beading and craftwork, and finding ways to integrate your ancestral heritage into your beading style. My next pursuit will be trying out french beading, not least of which cause I looooooooove flowers, so that works out. For now, you can sneak a peek at what I have tried so far below.